Sunday 8 March 2009

Wye Ultra - Wye Not ? 30 miles - 1st March


The Wye Ultra - started off as a big disappointment but ended up being rather a good day out !!



This was a first step on a journey that will see me run over 1000 miles for charity this year (Muscular Dystrophy), completing the full Vasque series (hopefully) , and some other events on my way to the Jungle Marathon in Brazil (October 2009) followed by the Marathon Des Sables in Morocco (March 2010).



Why ? - to raise £20000 for charity - and to learn what ultra running is all about.



New to the series this year - The Wye Ultra - promised to be 'gentle introduction'. -who ever heard of a 30 mile run being a gentle introduction to anything !!



So I was up at 04:30 to drive the 176 miles to the start line, expecting - dry, good weather, my first 'ultra experience' and the chance to run through the famous Forest of Dean.



Things did not start well - The bridge over the River Wye was unexpectedly shut (the night before) which denied access to the much anticipated 15 miles of hilly, muddy and scenic running through the Forest. The course would now be a 7.5 mile route, done 4 times, most of which would now be on road.



I hate roads (my old bones can't stand the pounding) and I hate loops (ever get the - 'been here before' feeling)- still the sun was out and this would be a good day for checking out my 'even pacing' as we were all issued with timing chips. (there is always something to learn from any event).



I put on my bright orange wig and tee-shirt (don't think fashion & credibility - think sponsorship), dark glasses (would you want to be recognised looking like that !) and lined up at the start.



The first 4 miles were flat river path and road, at the turn off point onto tracks there were some very enthusiastic St Johns Ambulance / marshalls giving every runner support and even a song !

The next mile consisted of a field crossing, a couple of up and over steep hills (yep - means walking!) through forest tracks and into a car park for the 'refreshment stop'.

Well organised kit bags were laid out so you could pick up some of your ' special mixture' to keep you going (tip: - energy drink and vodka tastes rubbish !!) and again some very enthusiastic volunteers were handing out water and motivational phrases.

After a quick 'bottle change' it was over the bridge (this one was OK !) and left (smile for the camera) for a 2 1/2 mile out and back single track river run. This was more like it - soft track, picturesque running, sound of the river. However it was not one way so you had to keep your eyes peeled and your brain in gear for people running at you !- not easy on the final lap after 17 odd miles.



You get to know a route when you have to do the same section 4 times, I thought this would be boring - but as a first event, and a first ultra - I found it quite comforting. I knew what to expect and when to expect it, I learnt from experience what I should do differently and could put it into practice the next time - all in one race !!



I also enjoyed seeing 'everybody in the race' a number of times, whether it was the 'elite- whizzing by ' or the back markers 'pushing themselves to the limit' or the 'fresh faced' relay runners, everyone had words of encouragement and it definitely helped me to keep going.



I really needed that over the last 5 miles when my brain said run but my body was in 'you must be joking' mode. The last half mile along the riverbank tow path dodging all the general public (they must have been still in bed the first time round!) also gave me that last ounce of ' don't stop and embarrass yourself in front of all these people - your an ultra runner' motivation I needed to finish.



On my drive home, I had plenty of time to reflect - my lasting impression was how painful the last 5 miles had been (extraordinary how much further 30 miles feels compared to a standard marathon) , but I still had that warm glow of achievement inside - I had finished my first ultra - it had been a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment