Saturday 28 March 2009

Bury St Edmunds 20 miler 22nd Feb




An annual event, organised by the Muscular Dystrophy Charity - I had to try it - even if I was not quite ready !!
Not my usual type of event - 20 miles on road with a couple of humps (there are no hills in Suffolk !!) thrown in around 9 and 18 miles. Felt like a good way to 'kick start' my training programme- and it was - until I reached 15 miles, then it was just pain, suffering and the humiliation of being consistently overtaken (a great example of 'novice running')

This is a very well organised and slick event with runners of all abilities lining up for either the 10 or 20 mile route. The day started well for me, I only live 15 miles away, the 'park and ride' option was very efficient (and free) , even the sun was out (could not remember when I last ran in just shorts and a tee-shirt).
I was a bit apprehensive as this was my first real event of the year and I had not run continually for over an hour since November (well I enjoy the Christmas season!). I lined up at the back to make sure I did not start to fast (there is a narrow lane section for the first few miles - hard to overtake) and enjoyed the sun and scenery for the first few miles. As we hit the wider roads I started to get into my stride and felt really good so I began to move through the pack.
By mile 10 I was 'steaming' , felt great, well within my time, actually this was 'going to be easy' - given I have been running for 9 years now, I should have know better, instead of my head in control- my heart took over.
5 miles later and - CRASH!! - this was my wall , my heart was saying move, but my legs were in two movement mode - 'walk or stop'. The 'hump' at mile 18 became a tortuous walk and every step on the tarmac after that seemed to rattle my bones to the core. (Huh - and I thought I was ready for this!!)
The last 5 miles took ages - at least I could practice my run / walk technique and in an attempt to save some personal kudos, I managed the obligatory run round the corner for a picture and the finish line.
I was glad it was over, it certainly 'gave me a kick' - I am now definitely sure I need to train more before the next event in a few weeks time !!

No comments:

Post a Comment